You’ve probably heard the term “toxic burden” used in conversations about health and wellness. But what does it mean, exactly?
In a nutshell, toxic burden refers to the amount of toxins that your body is exposed to on a daily basis. It’s important to understand this concept because it can play a big role in your overall health and wellbeing. Let’s explore how you can reduce your toxic burden and improve your everyday life.
Where Do Toxins Come From?
Toxins come from a variety of sources, both natural and manmade. Natural sources include things like air pollution, smoke, mold, pet dander, dust mites, pollen, and other allergens.
Manmade sources include things like preservatives in food, pesticides on produce, chemicals in cleaning products, heavy metals from drinking water or fish intake—the list goes on!
As you can see, toxins are all around us—we just have to be aware of them so we can limit our exposure as much as possible.
How Does Toxicity Affect Your Health?
Exposure to toxins has been linked to a number of different health issues such as headaches, fatigue, skin irritations/allergies/eczema/psoriasis flare-ups, cognitive decline (memory loss), difficulty focusing or concentrating for long periods of time (brain fog), hormonal imbalances (thyroid problems), digestive issues (diarrhea/constipation), respiratory problems (asthma or COPD), changes in mood or behavior (anxiety/depression) and the list goes on!
What Can You Do To Reduce Your Total Toxic Burden?
The good news is that there are steps you can take to reduce your total toxic burden.
- Start by taking inventory of the products you use regularly—household cleaners and personal care products should be free of harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances.
- Consider buying organic produce whenever possible.
- Look for items labeled “low VOC” when shopping for furniture or paint.
- Opt for filtered drinking water instead of tap water. We love the AquaTru Reverse Osmosis system!
- Keep your home clean by regularly changing out air filters and vacuuming carpets. The AirDoctor is our air purifier of choice!
- Open windows periodically so fresh air can circulate through your space
- Reduce stress levels with regular exercise or yoga…these are all strategies that will help minimize the amount of toxins you come into contact with each day.
Reducing your total toxic burden takes effort but it’s worth it! By understanding where toxins come from and taking actionable steps to reduce exposure where possible, you are taking an important step towards improving your overall health and wellbeing. So don't be afraid to get creative when finding ways to reduce your total toxic burden - every little bit counts!
Switching to a natural, non-toxic lifestyle can be overwhelming and expensive. We're here to make sure switching to a healthier, more natural lifestyle doesn't stress you out or cost more than it should. We're sharing our favorite products from the brands we trust!
See all of our favorite non-toxic brands and products here